Different oils repel different bugs, so it’s best to use a combination of essential oils to ward off several types of biters. Don’t let a fear of being eaten alive keep you inside this season. Instead, invest in a few hard-hitting essential oils and test out this natural alternative to chemical sprays.
This natural homemade insect repellent is great for mosquitos, flies, and other annoying warm season bugs. Tweak to your liking and apply with confidence.
Tips and Warnings:
- As always with essential oils, women who are pregnant or nursing should consult a health practitioner before using.
- Extreme caution should be used when using essential oils on young children.
- Always perform a patch test to check for an allergic reaction before using an essential oil for the first time.
- Always label homemade products well.
- Dark-colored bottles work best for products containing essential oils. Store in a cool, dark place when not using.
- Lemon eucalyptus essential oil is reported by the CDC to be a good natural substitution for DEET in repelling insects, but not recommended for use on children under 3 yrs.
Add carrier liquids to small spray bottle (3 or 4 oz. works well so there is room for shaking).
Add essential oils.
Shake well before each use.
Natural bug repellent will need to be reapplied every few hours for maximum effectiveness.